NAIDOC Week is held in the first full week of July. It is a time to celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and an opportunity to recognise the contributions that Indigenous Australians make to our country and our society. NAIDOC Week celebrations will kick off on Monday the 6th of July. The events for the week are listed below.
- Monday 6th July—Flag Raising Ceremony 10:30am at the Broken Hill Civic Centre flag poles (Chloride St) hosted by Broken Hill City Council followed by morning tea.
- Tuesday 7th July Broken Hill Hospital Morning Tea and Aboriginal Health Program Launch 11:00am at the courtyard next to the Aboriginal community room.
- Thursday 9th July—Free Family Fun Day in Sturt Park 10:00am—3:00pm (Chloride St side) including music, dance, traditional food, art, activities, jumping castle, stalls from different organisations, face painting, karaoke, merry-go-round and a special guest appearance from Lead Ted. Transport is available at 9:20am from the McCulloch St Shopping Centre, 9:30am from the Plaza bus stop, 9:40am from the Creedon St bus stop, 9:55am from the Patton St park and 10:05am from the Duff St park. Call 8088 0001 for more information.
- Maari Ma’s Stall at Sturt Park Our tobacco and nutrition teams will be promoting smoking cessation and healthy eating/nutrition messages. Carbon monoxide screening will be available and we will have a make your own fruit kebab stall. Our smoothie bike will also make an appearance. There will be plenty of giveaways including drink bottles, hats, keyrings, Frisbees, bouncing putty, mints and more. Our dental team will be on board promoting dental health and giving away toothbrushes and tooth paste. The community team will be conducting blood pressure and blood glucose checks, and can talk to you about your general health.
- Friday 10th July—Pancake Morning Tea & Youth Disco 11:00am at Warra Warra Legal Service (184-186 Argent St) and PCYC Youth Disco at the PCYC (Gypsum St) from 6:30pm.
The Regional Office has now relocated from 304 Oxide St (the old Skillshare building) to 428 Argent St (the old Primary Health Care Service). The Regional Office staff are happy to be back across the road from the Primary Health Care staff and are enjoying their new workspace. We also have our beautiful boardroom table back, although it was a bit of a struggle to get the table into the building!
The Regional Office (428 Argent St) is open from 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday and the phone number is still 8082 9888.